Companion program for Steam backup discs?

General discussion related to Steam Game Covers.
ShedoSurashu

Companion program for Steam backup discs?

Post by ShedoSurashu »

Hi! I've been lurking this site for quite some time, mainly just downloading backup disc covers. Anyway, I was wondering if someone here has already made a sort of small companion program for Steam backup discs. Basically, something that you include on the burned DVD/CD. I ask because I made one over at GitHub. I made it for myself in the first place but I thought I'd share it here since I use your covers a lot and I guess this is just some way to contribute too since I suck at anything graphics.

You just put it into the root of the disc before you burn and when you insert the disc and launch it, it'll prompt Steam to install the game on your disc.
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Re: Companion program for Steam backup discs?

Post by PieMonster »

Thanks @ ShedoSurashu. Steam used to include a mini launcher when you created a backup of your games. I think they dropped this because many people started backing up their games to hard drives instead of discs. I still have those original files. It was:

a. autorun.inf
b. steam.ico
c. steambackup.exe

So long as you had those files in the root directory of your disc it would auto launch the installer without you doing anything. I should get those files up on the site for other people to use.

:ugeek:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
Nephilim983

Post by Nephilim983 »

@PieMonster that would be great :)
Razec

Post by Razec »

I believe those files don't work anymore and only work to their respective backup.

What I ended up doing myself is making an autorun file, and ico file (you can find these online).

The autorun file would include the name of the game and the ico location so it can show the icon.

So basically make a autorun.inf file and include this.

[autorun]
open=
icon=.ico
label=

I'd have it open the Steamapps folder so I can just drag and drop the respective files of the game.

I wish Valve didn't get rid of the backup files they had previously, a rep gave me some BS that people would run into issues, and since they've changed the way backups are stored they went with the current process.
yo1dog

Post by yo1dog »

Checkout my post.

I found that you can use the retail Steam Setup.exe and customize it for any game backup.