New Template Request

General discussion related to Steam Game Covers.
TheColorUrple

New Template Request

Post by TheColorUrple »

Hi Community,

Just discovered this site, first post.

I love what you people are doing here, and I may jump on the Photoshop train in the future. For now though, I was wondering if anyone has considered making a Steam label template without the words "Backup Disc". It seems to me that "Backup Disc" just seems sort of redundant and cheapens the look of the cover; you wouldn't write "Game Cartridge" underneath the N64 logo, or even "Game Disc" under the PS4 logo.

I don't know if I'm the only one who feels this way, but I browsed through the templates and they all featured this text. Would anyone be willing to create a version that just says STEAM along with a modern version of the symbol? That could be really nice, no...?

Thanks! :)
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Re: New Template Request

Post by PieMonster »

Hello and welcome to the site.

The reason for the "Backup Disc" text is because the game is merely a backup of a Steam game. Backed up Steam do not contain files to play the game on any computer like old PC games with an installer. You still need a Steam account to install and play the game. The game won't even install to your PC if you don't already own it in your Steam account. When you buy a PS4 or X1 game, you are not buying a backup of the game. You are buying the actual game that will work on any PS4 or X1 console. I hope this makes sense.

:geek:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
TheColorUrple

Post by TheColorUrple »

Hey, thanks for the reply. Sorry I’m so late coming back to the site, but this stuff is still in the back of my mind....

I totally get your logic, and I understand the nature of backups. Yet, from my point of view, respectfully, it’s just a bit wordy for no real reason. As a Steam user, I understand that it’s a backup disc to my collection, but I would like artwork that looks clean, the way a console game would look but with a Steam logo. Since they will be collected and displayed privately, I see no reason to specify their nature on the banner. (For those really concerned about it, there could maybe be some sort of Backup label on the back with a brief explanation, but again, why?)

I think arguing the merits of a backup disc in an age where my Steam “collection” is nothing more than a series of licences to use products I don’t own is a separate discussion altogether.....but for now, I just want something that looks really good on my shelf :)

Whether or not you agree with me, do you think it’s possible for the site to offer this option?
calculon559

Post by calculon559 »

TheColorUrple wrote:Would anyone be willing to create a version that just says STEAM along with a modern version of the symbol?
Whether or not you agree with me, do you think it’s possible for the site to offer this option?
If you look at the new default template, you'll see that's already been done. ;)