Best Materials for Printing?

General discussion related to Steam Game Covers.
AskingForTrouble

Best Materials for Printing?

Post by AskingForTrouble »

Hello all,

I've been wanting to dip my toes into creating physical backups of my Steam games using custom art from this website for sometime now, but I'm unsure of the best method and materials needed to do so.

1) Is there a particular model printer that works best for printing the covers featured here?
2) Which CD/DVD image printing method will deliver the best (overall) quality?
3) What kind of paper works best for printing case covers?
4) Is there a particular brand of blank DVD case that is recommended?

Thanks in advance!
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Re: Best Materials for Printing?

Post by PieMonster »

Hello, welcome to the site.

I'm actually going to be working on quite a few new updates to the site this year including better instructions on how to print the best quality covers. Until then, let me just tell you what I'm currently using.

My current home printer is a Canon MX922. It has a feature that prints directly onto inkjet printable (white) discs in full color. For the paper covers (CD/DVD cases), I use the same printer with Glossy Photo Paper. You can also use Matte Photo Paper. Either one is fine and will give you professional results, I just prefer the glossy look. Whatever you do, do not use plain printer paper. Plain Paper doesn't capture the range of color that Photo Paper does so your blacks tend to all blend in and your colors look faded.

Hope this help for now. It may be a while before I get more detailed instructions up. I need to work on a few other things for the site first.

:ugeek:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
TheColorUrple

Post by TheColorUrple »

PieMonster wrote:Hello, welcome to the site.

I'm actually going to be working on quite a few new updates to the site this year including better instructions on how to print the best quality covers. Until then, let me just tell you what I'm currently using.

My current home printer is a Canon MX922. It has a feature that prints directly onto inkjet printable (white) discs in full color. For the paper covers (CD/DVD cases), I use the same printer with Glossy Photo Paper. You can also use Matte Photo Paper. Either one is fine and will give you professional results, I just prefer the glossy look. Whatever you do, do not use plain printer paper. Plain Paper doesn't capture the range of color that Photo Paper does so your blacks tend to all blend in and your colors look faded.

Hope this help for now. It may be a while before I get more detailed instructions up. I need to work on a few other things for the site first.

:ugeek:
This is great. Whenever you get around to making this guide, would you be able to give a cost estimate for the materials needed per game (ink, paper, cases)? I know that it will vary WILDLY depending on where you purchase things and in what quantities, but maybe a general price range and some advice on how to keep costs down could be really nice!
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

Hello @TheColorUrple,

I don't think I'm going to include any prices in my guide but I'll try to include links to supplies on Amazon. Like you said, the prices will fluctuate WILDLY depending upon which discs/cases you go with. Off the top of my head I can say that you should expect to pay anywhere between $2 - $5 per game if you want professional quality prints (disc and case art).

Hope this helps for now. I'm currently updating the templates. After that's all done I'll get working on the guide.

:geek:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/