New to backing up games to CD. What do I need?

General discussion related to Steam Game Covers.
yogurtstorm

New to backing up games to CD. What do I need?

Post by yogurtstorm »

Hi guys, I'm new to this site but I'm a huge collector and decent with photoshop so I intend to participate in making covers for the site.

As for me, I'm not sure what files I need to backup from my Steam games in order to make a "playable" CD as a result. Could anybody shed some light or point me in the right direction, please?
te_lanus

Re: New to backing up games to CD. What do I need?

Post by te_lanus »

Easiest is to use steam's in-build back-up option.
Razec

Post by Razec »

The method that I have found easiest to do and even recommended by Valve employees it to actually copy the files from your harddrive.

I have the entire Steam folder (without all the games which are located in /steamapps) backed up to a separate drive.

But if you want to back up a certain game, go from /steamapps, get the corresponding .acf file, copy the /common folder and the corresponding game.

So for instance if I want to back up Fallout 4 in a disk what I personally do is a make an autorun file that will open up the disk and have an icon, so when the disk loads the corresponding game icon and title are there on the dialog box.

The way it will look is like this >> /steam >> /steamapps - appmanifest_377160.acf >> /common >> /Fallout 4

All these folders will be on the disk, you obviously have to manually separate the files to fit on multiple disks.

The reason I do this is that you can do this completely offline.
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

Hello and welcome to the site. Below is a simple process for backing up your games:

1. Right click on any game in your Steam library and select "Backup Game Files". Follow the instructions and save it to somewhere on your HD.

2. Insert a blank recordable disc (CD/DVD/Blu-ray) into your disc drive. Note - you will need a recordable disc and a burner. These are pretty cheap and you can easily find them on amazon.

3. Use your burning software to burn the contents of your backed up game to your recordable disc. Note - you will need burning software such as Nero to complete this step.

4. Depending upon the type of disc you used you can then choose to print a label for it. If you used a Lightscribe disc you can burn the image directly onto the disc. If you use a printable disc you can print the cover directly on the disc. If you used a plain disc you can use "sticky labels" to print a cover for it.

5. Finally, for printing the case art you will need choose a case - jewel or Amary. Then print the correct cover art directly on to paper. Cut it out then slip it into your case. Note - you will need a printer, paper, and scissors for this step. All done!

Hope this helps.

:ugeek:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
yogurtstorm

Post by yogurtstorm »

Thanks so much for the detailed responses guys :-)

I can't wait to get started with this and to make some covers ^_^

I'm thinking of using jewel cases since I assume they're both cheaper and more popular amongst the community here since PC games were typically distributed in Jewel cases in the past. Is this true or should I perhaps consider DVD cases? I want my collection to be very uniform so I don't want some of both ;)