Blu-ray case templates - Issues and Ideas.

Post any suggestions or ideas for Steam Game Covers here.
HunsonAbadeer

Re: Blu-ray case templates - Issues and Ideas.

Post by HunsonAbadeer »

BluRay Cases have the exact same Size and Shape as PS3 Cases with the difference that they are blue and the BluRay Logo is in the Mid instead of on the right.

I guess we could use the PS3 Case size for the new BluRay template because the only thing that changes in sizes is the height. I double-checked it ( I own some ps3 and dvd cases ) and the easiest way would be to resize the actual template in height
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

So, it's 2014 and PC game companies are still releasing retail games on DVD - Max Payne 3 ships on 5 DVDs! So, I guess we'll continue to wait until PC game companies choose a unified Blu-Ray case format. Then we can have an official template for it.

:(
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/
Razec

Post by Razec »

As much as I hate this. I don't see this happening. Not in the US at least.

Most games from the past year or two have been near or above that 20GB mark.

Another thing is you are finding less, and less, PC games -- in the US, physically being sold. Most are digital only.

Europe is the bigger market for Physical copies, and if and when they make the switch themselves, then it will happen.

Also don't think this will happen any time soon regardless. I'd say maybe at least another 3-5 years. People had issues making the transition to DVDs when certain game companies made the switch in the early 2000s. Very few companies gave the option of picking a format, like EA with Battlefield 2 back in 2005.

Metal Gear Solid 2 for PC was released in 2003 and was DVD. I remember going to many websites and saw that was a huge problem. A lot of people pirated the game -- one because it was a port, and two because most people couldn't use the format.

So, again I personally don't see Blu-Ray taking off for PC anytime soon. By the time it does digital downloads and bandwidth with be better with the times and we are moving to a virtual world. I hate it but thats how I see it.

I buy all my games at a retail store, very rarely do I buy digital -- only on insane sales from retail price, and obviously come here to make my backups with labels.
JayWood2010

Post by JayWood2010 »

I would really like to see a BluRay option. I know PC games dont use BluRay but BluRay boxes look much better in my opinion. Plus DVD looks weird on my shelf so I would love to be able to replace those boxes with BluRay
PieMonster
SGC Admin

Post by PieMonster »

@JayWood2010, it's been about 2 years since I started this thread and Blu-ray has still not taken over the PC game market. It seem unlikely that it ever will. There are currently 2 standards for cases 1. American (slimmer - like for movies) and 2. European (thicker - like PS3 games). I don't know which one to go with, hence the delay.

:cry:
FREE disc and case art for STEAM games: http://www.steamgamecovers.com/